Awarded annually to the young enthusiastic birder who has seen the most species of birds in the Hamilton Study Area in a calendar year.
Criteria is as follows:
- The observer must NOT have reached his/her 18th birthday during the year.
- The observer’s name, address, phone number and date of birth must be submitted with the application.
- The submitted bird list must include the date of each first sighting and location for each species.
- All birds must have been seen within one calendar year (i.e. January 1st through December 31st, inclusive).
- All birds must have been seen in the Hamilton Study Area (within 40 km of Dundurn Castle, Hamilton – see
- Submitted lists will be reviewed by a Ross Thompson committee before the trophy is awarded each year
- Young birders may wish to check HNC publications such as the Checklist of the Birds of Hamilton-Wentworth, the Date Guide to Birds of Hamilton-Wentworth,
and Birds of Hamilton and surrounding areas.
- The submitted lists will not be returned; observers should ensure they have a duplicate set of records.
- The trophy may not be awarded more than twice to the same observer.
Ross Thompson Trophy Winner For 2009
Congratulations to Ezra Campanelli, Giovanni Campanelli and Owen Novasolec.
Ross Thompson Trophy Winner For 2008
Caleb Scholtens (left) receiving the Ross Thompson Trophy from Bob Curry at a Bird Study Group meeting. Caleb recorded 171 species of birds in the Hamilton Study Area in 2008. Highlights for his year were seeing a Northern Hawk Owl and a Pileated Woodpecker and having a ?Big Day? in May with over 100 species.
Ross Thompson Trophy Winner For 2007
Giovanni Campanelli (left) after receiving the Ross Thompson Trophy from Bob Curry at a Bird Study Group meeting. Giovanni recorded 132 species within the Hamilton Study Area in 2007.
Pictured at right are Ross Thompson Trophy winner Giovanni Campanelli (right) and runner-up Ezra Campanelli (left)
(Photo: Glenda Slessor).
|Ross Thompson Trophy Winners|
|Year||Recipient||# of Species|
|2012||Lukian and Zakhar Husak||255|
|1999||Carl Hamann||274 * highest to date|
|1958||John Olmstead/John Miles||242|
In 2014 the Ross Thompson Trophy is replaced with The Robert Curry Trophy