You Can Help Protect the Natural World
Donor support is the key to ensuring we can continue and build on a century of protecting nature for future generations.
The HNC relies on volunteers and financial support from members and supporters to operate our many programs. While we occasionally receive foundation and government grants for specific projects, the Club must raise funds for ongoing programs and management of our Nature Sanctuaries ourselves. Our membership fees are low to encourage broad community involvement.
Donations can be made on a one-time or monthly basis. You have the option of designating how your funds are used. See Funds below.
Donations by Cheque/Mail
Download Donation Form (pdf) and mail to:
Hamilton Naturalists’ Club
PO Box 89052
Hamilton, ON L8S 4R5
Please make cheques payable to “Hamilton Naturalists’ Club”.
Your support in any form is needed and appreciated. Even small gifts add up and help us show potential funders that there is broad-based support for protecting nature in our community. Regular or planned gifts such as securities, bequests, insurance, annuities, trusts, RRIFs and RRSPs are particularly beneficial as they provide the HNC with financial stability and allow for long-term planning.
- Cash Donations on a one time or monthly basis can be made to provide support for HNC initiatives.
- In Memoriam and In Honour Of Gifts – Designate your gift to the memory of a special person, in recognition of an important milestone in someone’s life or as an environmentally friendly alternative at special celebrations.
- Gifts of Land or Conservation Easements – If you want to see your land protected forever we’d love to discuss conservation options and the tax benefits of a donation. Contact the Land Trust Program Coordinator at email@example.com
- Gifts of Securities or Mutual Funds – When you donate stocks, bonds or mutual fund units directly to the HNC there is no capital gains tax on the increased value of these securities giving you a potentially significant tax savings over selling the securities and donating cash.
- Bequests – Leaving a legacy for nature through your will with a bequest to the HNC can also save your estate taxes.
- Insurance – Making the HNC the beneficiary of your insurance policy may save your estate taxes and probate fees. Transferring ownership of the policy to the HNC provides an immediate tax credit, plus further donation receipts for payments on future premiums and potential tax savings for your estate.
- Charitable Gift Annuities & Charitable Remainder Trusts are mechanisms that allow donors to receive a tax benefit now plus a guaranteed income for life from the annuity or trust and potential tax savings for your estate.
- RRIFs, RRSPs & Pensions – Making the HNC the beneficiary or alternative beneficiary of your RRIF, RRSP or pension may save your estate considerable taxes and avoid probate fees.
If you are interested in making a planned gift to the HNC we recommend that you seek competent professional advice. HNC representatives would be pleased to meet with you or your advisors to provide assistance. For more information on donation options contact the HNC Treasurer at firstname.lastname@example.org
No matter how you choose to support the HNC you always have the option of designating how your funds are used by directing your donation to one of our seven permanent funds. The Endowment Funds are managed on our behalf by the Hamilton Community Foundation.
- Wildlands Acquisition Fund
Used to support the costs of acquiring and permanently protecting lands for conservation.
- Sanctuary/Land Trust Fund
Supports sanctuary management and the Head-of-the-Lake Land Trust Program.
- Conservation Fund
Used for the immediate support of conservation and public education projects.
- FalconWatch Fund
Used to support the costs of running our annual FalconWatch program to protect Peregrine Falcon chicks at the Hamilton Sheraton Hotel nest site.
- General Fund
Covers the HNC’s operating expenses, including meetings and publication of our journal The Wood Duck.
- Habitat Preservation Endowment Fund
The annual income supports the protection and management of our Nature Sanctuaries and efforts to permanently protect additional lands.
- Conservation/Education Endowment Fund
The annual income supports conservation and educational activities that further environmental protection.
- Ecological Research Endowment Fund
The annual income is used to support ecological research.